Be A Better Buffalo Challenge
Service has long been a Core Value at Old Trail School and a highlight of our character-building curriculum.
Along with our three other Core Values of Goodness, Respect and Responsibility, these principles form the pillars of our whole-child approach at OTS.
To more intentionally weave service into the fabric of who we are as an Old Trail community, we're excited to introduce a new initiative called the “Be A Better Buffalo Challenge.” It was inspired by the thoughtful members of our middle school Trail to Service elective under the direction of Service Learning Coordinator Mandy Reynolds and is meant to encourage us all to be better versions of ourselves through acts of service.
The challenge will begin on November 22 and conclude on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day—January 17, 2022.
- Acts of Service Calendar: Find some inspiration from the service calendar pictured above to get started! Download and print a copy to keep at home and check off as many acts of service as you can during the dates of the challenge!
- OTS Day of Service: Old Trail is scheduled to volunteer as a group (for ages 10 and up) at the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank on Tuesday, November 23, from 1-3:30 p.m. Please contact OTSPA Community Engagement officer George Ilodi for more information or to volunteer.
- Be an Elf on December 19: Grade 8 student Maya Kinney is rounding up volunteers for Elves and More, an organization that uses volunteers to build and deliver bikes to underserved communities. She is asking families to join her to build bikes on December 19. Visit this link for more details and to register.
- Pick up a Craft Kit: Deconstructed craft kits are available to pick up at the front desk. Once returned, they will be donated to patients at Akron Children's Hospital.
Through service, we aim to graduate students who march into their futures imbued with empathy for others, a passion to change the world for the better, and the persistence, creativity and drive to make it happen.
Sarah Johnston, Head of School
Document your volunteerism to inspire others!
- Keep track of your service hours as a family during the challenge! Let's see what how big of an impact we can make as an Old Trail School community!
- Take photos of your family's volunteerism and share them with us via email (email@example.com) and/or tag Old Trail School on social media!
- Can’t make the service day at the Akron Canton Regional Food Bank on November 23? Schedule a trip on your own when it is more convenient for your family!
- Individuals and small groups can also volunteer at Haven of Rest Ministries. Opportunities include but are not limited to serving food, sorting canned goods or clothing and cleaning.
- Recycle all brands of empty writing instruments, glue sticks, watercolor dispensers, paint sets, and flexible packaging by bringing them to OTS.
- Donate items to a local charity
- Donate second-hand band instruments to Old Trail School's Modern Band middle school elective.
- Schedule a local charity to pick up donations from your home
- Use donation boxes at Old Trail to gift items in high demand to Haven of Rest Ministries. Items requested include gently used or new winter coats in all sizes for men, women and children. Winter hats, gloves, mittens, scarfs for men, women and children are also needed.